Paternity in Illinois
Button 1 Button 2 Button 3 Button 4 Button 5 Button 6
Mevorah & Giglio Law Offices
DuPage County Attorneys


900 E. Roosevelt Road, Lombard, IL 60148

Phone: 630-932-9100


134 N. Bloomingdale Road, Bloomingdale, IL 60108

Phone: 630-529-4761


1730 Park Street, Suite 202, Naperville, IL 60563

Phone: 630-420-1000

Paternity in Illinois

Posted on in Family Law
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Print

LucyWhen a child is born, it is obvious who the mother is because she gives birth. The father, however, could be unknown, depending on the sexual partners that the mother had around the time of conception.

If a single woman is raising a child and a man claims to be the father, he must prove it before anything can be official. Both biological parents must sign the correct forms to make the fatherhood legal. If, when the child is born, the biological parents are not available to sign the forms, the woman’s husband, if available, usually signs the Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity form and a Denial of Paternity form is also completed.

If the biological father is missing, there are many forms to complete to fill the void of a father for the child. Depending on the relationship of the parents, different forms, identification and fees are required for this process.

If the parents were married before the child was born and remained married after the birth, the paternity is the simplest, however, every disconnect within the family makes it more complicated. If the parents are not married until after the birth, paternity must be made legal, along with if the parents are never married. It may also be affected if the parents are divorced before the child is born.

If the courts are involved in the paternity, and have determined the biological father, you must submit an Affidavit and Certificate of Correction Request form to correct the legal paternity.

The court will also require:

  • The father’s full name, date of birth, place of birth and Social Security number
  • The mother’s Social Security number
  • A $15 fee to cover one certified copy of the birth certificate
  • A copy of government-issued IDs for the father and mother

This office does not accept DNA test results as sufficient proof so it is important to have the proper paperwork.

If you are having troubles with your child’s paternity due to divorce or some other reason, contact a divorce attorney to help you. Attorneys at The Mevorah & Giglio Law Offices can help you with paternity today in Lombard, Bloomingdale, and Naperville, Illinois.


Photo courtesy of imagerymajestic/

Latest Blog Posts


  • DuPage County Divorce Lawyers
  • Elite Lawyer
  • National Association of Distinguished Counsel
  • Top 40 Under 40
  • 2015 Top 40 Lawyers Under 40
  • Super Lawyers
  • Better Business Bureau

Let us start helping you with a FREE initial consultation.

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.

One Stop For All Your Legal Needs

Whether you are going through a divorce, injured in an accident, need to file a workers' compensation claim, charged with a crime, immigrating to the United States, or need to file for bankruptcy, Mevorah & Giglio Law Offices can help. Our trial lawyers have over 40 years of experience helping clients throughout Northern Illinois from 3 offices in Lombard, Bloomindale, and Naperville.

Steven Mevorah has assembled experienced attorneys under one roof so that his clients need not search for a new attorney each time they need help. Mr. Mevorah has also established a wide network of additional attorneys so that his clients merely need to stop by Mevorah & Giglio Law Offices to find the attorney they need.

Client Focused Representation

Our practice is focused on meeting your needs with flexible hours and locations to serve you:

  • Free initial consultations
  • Saturday and evening appointments available
  • Home and hospital visits if your injuries prevent you from traveling
  • Multiple locations throughout Chicagoland
  • Veteran trial attorneys
  • Experienced negotiators
  • Payment plans available
  • Cash, check, or credit card accepted