We speak: flagEnglish, flagSpanish, flagPolish, flagUrdu
Call us

Free Consultation


DuPage County Post Decree Enforcement and Contempt Hearings Lawyers

Attorneys for Post Decree Compliance and Contempt Issues in Lombard, Naperville, and Bloomingdale

After a divorce is finalized, issues often arise which require a post-decree modification. There are other times, however, when an ex-spouse is being uncooperative and not fulfilling his or her obligations. When this situation arises, it is often necessary to go back to court and enforce the terms and conditions of the original divorce decree. To ensure your interests are protected during this process, it is important to work with an experienced Illinois post-decree enforcement and contempt hearings attorney.

The award-winning lawyers at Mevorah & Giglio Law Offices have provided skilled representation to clients with post-decree compliance and contempt issues for over 40 years. We put this experience to work to provide clients the most practical and effective solutions for their legal issues.

We are highly acclaimed not only for our skill and experience, but also for our client-centered approach. Our attorneys are honest, compassionate, responsive, and down to earth. We keep extended evening and weekend hours to accommodate your busy schedule, and we provide regular updates on the progress of your case, so you are always kept in the loop. When it comes to post-decree enforcement and contempt hearings, we are aggressive advocates for the interests of our clients.

Contempt of Court Motions in Illinois

If an ex-spouse is refusing to comply with the terms and conditions of a divorce, a motion can be filed with the court asking the ex-spouse to be found in contempt for his/her actions. Common issues that may prompt a contempt of court motion include:

The motion requires the offending party to appear in court and explain why he or she should not be held in contempt. The contempt hearing is similar to a court trial in which both sides present evidence, call witnesses, and perform cross-examination. Based on the evidence presented, the judge will issue a decision.

If a person is found in contempt of court, the finding could be for civil violations, criminal violations, or both. Criminal violations could result in fines and jail time. In the case of civil violations, there are certain enforcement procedures that can be used to compel the offending party to pay what is owed. For example, if you are owed maintenance and/or child support payments, collection procedures such as wage garnishments, bank account seizures, and liens on personal property can be used to help recover the debt.

Contact Our Bloomingdale Post-Decree Enforcement Lawyers

Post-decree enforcement measures should only be used as a last resort after other attempts to resolve the issue with the offending party have been exhausted. At Mevorah & Giglio Law Offices, our attorneys are skilled litigators inside the courtroom and strong negotiators outside of court. Whether your ex-spouse is in violation of the divorce decree, or you are being falsely accused of the same, we work closely with you and the opposing legal counsel to negotiate a resolution that protects your rights. If litigation does become necessary, you can rest easy knowing you have experienced advocates in your corner. If you need help with post-decree enforcement and contempt hearings in Illinois, contact our office today at 630-932-9100 for a free consultation.

badge badge badge badge badge badge badge badge
Back to Top