We speak: flagEnglish, flagSpanish, flagPolish, flagUrdu
Call us

Free Consultation


DuPage County, IL Immigration Lawyers

Immigration and Naturalization Attorneys in Illinois

Immigration law can be complex, and those who need to address matters related to immigration will need to work with an attorney who understands the procedures followed by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and who has a strong understanding of the laws that apply to immigrants and the rules that are followed by immigration officials.

At Mevorah & Giglio Law Offices, we provide representation for clients in matters related to USCIS, as well as Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). We provide assistance with visas, citizenship, asylum, employment-based adjustment of status, and removal/deportation. We can ensure that immigrants are in compliance with all requirements, and we make sure our clients are fully informed of their rights and the opportunities provided to them by new legislation and updated government policies.

Permanent Residency and Temporary Visas

There are many different types of visas available to foreign nationals, with some of them limiting the amount of time an individual is allowed to stay in the United States and others allowing the individual to maintain permanent residence. There are multiple different types of temporary visas, including student visas and tourist visas. Temporary employment-based visas will usually allow foreign workers to live and work in the United States for a limited number of years. These include H-1B visas for certain types of specialized workers. An employee who is being transferred from a branch of a company in another country to a branch in the United States may be eligible for an L visa, or intra-company transfer visa. B visas, or business visitor visas, are available to individuals who need to enter the United States temporarily for business purposes but are not planning on giving up their residence abroad.

Temporary visas will only allow a person to remain in the United States for a limited time, and a person who remains in the country after a visa expires may be subject to deportation proceedings, and they may be unable to re-enter the U.S. in the future. For those who wish to become permanent residents of the United States, multiple options may be available for adjustment of status.

Employment-Based Visas and Family-Based Visas

Immigrants who came to the U.S. through a temporary visa related to their employment may be able to apply for an immigrant visa that will allow them to receive a Green Card. Many foreign nationals earn the right to permanent residency through EB visas, or permanent resident work visas, after receiving sponsorship from an employer. A person must fit into one of five categories to be eligible for an EB visa, and they must usually obtain a labor certification. E visas (investor visas and treaty trader visas) are offered to individuals who are investing in the United States or are management-level employees of a company in a country that has a trading treaty with the United States.

Family visas may also provide an option that will allow a person to become a lawful permanent resident. Immediate relative (IR) visas will be available for the spouse, children, or parents of U.S. citizens. Family preference (F) visas will be available for other family members, such as a citizen's unmarried children over the age of 21, brothers and sisters, and married children of any age. Lawful permanent residents may also be able to sponsor immediate family members for immigration through F visas.

After a person becomes a lawful permanent resident and lives in the United States for a certain number of years, they may apply for U.S. citizenship and complete the naturalization process. Citizenship will provide a number of benefits, including the right to vote and hold public office and the ability to sponsor other family members for immigration. U.S. citizens will also be able to apply for a passport, which will allow them to travel freely to and from the United States.

Contact a Lombard Immigration Attorney

If you are in need of an immigration attorney in DuPage County, Cook County, Will County, McHenry County, or Kane County who understands immigration law and USCIS procedures, contact Mevorah & Giglio Law Offices today. Call 630-932-9100 to arrange a free consultation, and we will guide you through the maze of paperwork and documentation involved in immigration issues.

badge badge badge badge badge badge badge badge
Back to Top