We speak: flagEnglish, flagSpanish, flagPolish, flagUrdu
Call us

Free Consultation


DuPage County Fiancé Visa Attorney

Immigration Attorneys Helping Clients with K-1 Fiancé Visa in Illinois

The K-1 fiancé visa is available to foreign nationals who intend to marry a U.S. Citizen inside the United States. The K-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa, and it requires the visa holder to marry his/her fiancé within 90 days after entering the United States. After the marriage, the foreign national must apply for adjustment of status to become a lawful permanent resident (LPR). There are certain requirements to apply for a fiancé visa, and the process can be complicated. Before beginning, it is best to consult with an experienced immigration attorney to review your options.

At Mevorah & Giglio Law Offices, we have several decades of experience helping clients with fiancé visas and all other types of family-based visas in Chicagoland and throughout Northern Illinois. Our award-winning attorneys have in-depth experience with all matters related to immigration, and we frequently represent clients before USCIS and ICE. We are also skilled across a wide range of other practice areas, such as family law, criminal defense, and many others. We put our unique blend of experience to work to give our clients the skilled representation they deserve and help them navigate the difficult and confusing immigration process.

K-1 Fiancé Visa Requirements

There are several requirements that must be met to apply for a fiancé visa. These include:

  • The sponsor must be a U.S. Citizen;
  • The fiancé must be a citizen of another country;
  • The fiancé must be physically outside the U.S. at the time the application is filed;
  • The couple must have met in person within two years of filing the application (some exceptions apply);
  • The couple must be legally able to marry in the United States; and
  • The couple must intend (in good faith) to get married within 90 days after the fiancé arrives in the U.S.

If the fiancé has unmarried dependent children under the age of 21, a K-2 visa can be obtained for the dependents to enter the U.S. along with the K-1 visa holder. During the application process, it is important to prove to USCIS that the impending marriage is not fraudulent. This requires as much documentation as possible about your relationship and your commitment to be together. If the marriage does not take place within 90 days of entering the country, the K-1 visa holder and all K-2 dependents are required to leave the country or be subject to removal.

Contact Our Lombard Fiancé Visa Attorneys

Engaged couples often wonder whether it is best to petition for a K-1 fiancé visa and marry inside the U.S. or get married abroad and bring the foreign spouse to the U.S. on a K-3 (married) visa. There are advantages and disadvantages to each option, and the best choice is always dependent on your specific circumstances. At Mevorah & Giglio Law Offices, we will thoroughly examine your situation and advise you on the best legal path to be united with your new family here in the U.S. For a free consultation with one of our skilled Illinois fiancé visa attorneys, contact our office today at 630-932-9100.

badge badge badge badge badge badge badge badge
Back to Top