Alyana J. Abellar
Alyana Abellar graduated from Michigan State University College of Law with magna cum laude honors. In recognition of her excellence as the highest achieving student, she received the Jurisprudence Achievement Awards for Immigration Law, Trust and Estates, Sales and Leases, and Torts. While in law school, she served as a Student Clinician in Michigan State University’s Civil Rights Clinic, representing inmates in civil litigations involving violations of their constitutional rights. She also served as a researcher for the Lori E. Talsky Center for Human Rights of Women and Children, focusing her research on the human rights abuses of women and children in the Central African Republic, South Sudan, and Libya. Alyana Abellar further completed externships with the Miami-Dade State’s Attorney’s Office and American Civil Liberties Union of Alabama.
Prior to law school, Alyana Abellar received her Bachelor of Arts in English Studies from University of the Philippines where she maintained herself as a College Scholar for five consecutive semesters. She grew up in the Philippines and is fluent in Tagalog.
Alyana Abellar began her legal career before going to law school as a paralegal at a law firm in Florida where she gained experience working with divorce, post-decree matters, parentage, child support, probate, and criminal cases. She continued to work as a paralegal while in law school, focusing on family law cases, which enabled her to become adept in handling family law cases early on her legal career. Before joining Mevorah Law Offices LLC, she worked at a family law firm in one of the suburbs of Chicago as a law clerk.
Alyana Abellar fights zealously and vigilantly for her clients. Her practice is concentrated in family law including, but not limited to, prenuptial agreements, divorce, post-decree matters, allocation of parental responsibilities, and child support cases. She also handles employment law and civil litigation which includes but are not limited to sexual harassment, discrimination in the workplace, debt collection matters, and enforcement of contracts.
- Family Law
- Employment Law
- Civil Litigation
- Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, May 2019, J.D.
- University of the Philippines, Quezon City, Philippines, B.A. English Studies
- Illinois, 2019
Honors and Awards
- Juris Doctor Magna Cum Laude, Michigan State University, 2019
- Jurisprudence Achievement Award for Immigration Law, Michigan State University, 2019
- Jurisprudence Achievement Award for Trust and Estates, Michigan State University, 2019
- Jurisprudence Achievement Award for Sales and Leases, Michigan State University, 2019
- Jurisprudence Achievement Award for Torts, Michigan State University, 2017
- Trustee Award Scholarship Awardee, Michigan State University, 2016-2019
- Santa Maria Moot Court Competition (First Place), Ateneo De Manila University, 2014
- College Scholar, University of the Philippines, 2011 to 2014
- Best Thesis Candidate, University of the Philippines, 2014
- DuPage County Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Michigan State University Civil Rights Clinic, Student Clinician (2018-2019)
- Asian Pacific American Law Student Association, President (2018-2019)
- Association of Chinese Law, Vice-President (2018-2019)
- National Lawyers Guild Mass Incarceration Committee, Researcher (2017-2019)
- Lori E. Talsky Center for Human Rights of Women and Children, Researcher (2016-2019)
- Themis Bar Review, Student Representative (2017-2019)
- Microsoft, Corp., Student Ambassador (2012-2014)
- UP Lingua Franca, member (2011-2014)
- UP KALikha, Vice-President (2013-2014)