We speak: flagEnglish, flagSpanish, flagPolish, flagUrdu
Call us

Free Consultation


Non-Immigrant Visas for Healthcare Workers in Illinois

 Posted on March 12, 2024 in Immigration

Illinois immigration lawyerAccording to statistics from the American Medical Association (AMA), the United States could see a physician shortfall of more than 100,000 over the next decade and a shortfall of nurses by almost 200,000. These shortages carry into other healthcare professional areas, as well. This is why non-immigrant visas for healthcare professionals are critical for addressing the nation's healthcare needs and ensuring the availability of skilled medical personnel. Several options are available for coming to the United States to work, depending on the individual's circumstances. An Illinois immigration lawyer can help with this process.

H-1B Visa

The H-1B visa is one of the most common options for skilled workers, including healthcare professionals. This type of Visa allows employers to hire specialized professionals from other countries. The individual must possess a bachelor's degree or higher. Healthcare occupations such as physicians, surgeons, pharmacists, and medical researchers often qualify under this category.

J-1 Visa (Exchange Visitor Visa)

The J-1 visa is designed for individuals participating in exchange visitor programs, including medical graduates seeking residency or fellowship training in the United States. Through the Exchange Visitor Program (EVP), medical professionals gain valuable experience and training in various medical specialties, contributing to the exchange of medical knowledge and skills.

O-1 Visa

The O-1 Visa is for individuals with extraordinary ability or achievement in their field, including healthcare professionals recognized for their exceptional expertise or contributions. Physicians, surgeons, medical researchers, and other healthcare professionals who have garnered significant recognition and acclaim in their respective fields may be able to enter the United States under this Visa.

TN Visa (Trade NAFTA)

Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), citizens of Canada and Mexico can obtain TN visas to work in certain professional occupations in the United States, including healthcare professions. TN visas offer expedited processing and are often used by Canadian and Mexican healthcare professionals seeking employment in the U.S.

E-3 Visa (Australian Specialty Occupation Visa)

The E-3 Visa is exclusive to Australian citizens. It temporarily allows skilled professionals, including healthcare workers, to work in specialty occupations in the United States.

Contact an Illinois Immigration Lawyer for a Free Consultation

These visas enable qualified healthcare professionals from around the world to work temporarily in the United States, contributing to the nation's diverse healthcare landscape and ensuring access to quality medical care for patients nationwide. If you are a healthcare professional from another country seeking to work in the U.S., call Mevorah & Giglio Law Offices at 630-932-9100 to schedule a free and confidential consultation with one of our skilled Illinois immigration attorneys. We will evaluate your case and determine your best options.

Share this post:
badge badge badge badge badge badge badge badge
Back to Top