Call us

Free Consultation


What Types of Visas Allow a Person to Live in the U.S. Temporarily?

Posted on in Immigration

DuPage County Lawyer Assisting with Temporary VisasThe United States is known as the land of opportunity, attracting millions of individuals and families from all over the globe. There are a variety of options for those who wish to come to the U.S. While some people may receive sponsorship for immigrant visas from family members or employers, allowing them to live in the United States permanently, others may seek temporary visas that will allow for short-term stays in the country. By understanding the types of non-immigrant visas that may be available, individuals can determine their options as they seek authorization to enter the United States.

Categories of Non-Immigrant Visas

Temporary visas will generally allow for a short-term stay in the U.S., and different types of non-immigrant visas will be available for different purposes. These include:

  • Student visas - Those who intend to pursue academic studies in the United States will require these types of visas. There are two categories of student visas: F-1 and M-1. The F-1 visa is for individuals who wish to study at a U.S. college, university, high school, elementary school, or other academic institution. The M-1 visa, on the other hand, is for students who wish to enroll in vocational or nonacademic programs. To apply for a student visa, a person will need to be accepted for enrollment to a school or program that is approved by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). Students will generally be allowed to remain in the United States while they are pursuing education, and they may also apply for work authorization. F-1 visa holders will be required to leave the country within 60 days after completing a study program and any practical training that has been authorized. M-1 visa holders will be required to depart within 30 days after the completion of their program.

  • Tourist and visitor visas - People who plan to visit the United States temporarily to visit family members, engage in sightseeing or other activities, or conduct business may apply for non-immigrant visas that allow for short-term stays. B-1 visas allow for travel to perform business activities such as attending conferences, meeting with business associates, or settling estates. B-2 visas allow for travel for tourism, family visits, social events, medical treatment, amateur sports events, and recreational classes that do not count for credit toward a degree. Visitor visas will not allow a person to work for U.S. employers or pursue a formal education in the U.S. Visitors will be required to leave the country after the end of their period of temporary admission.

  • Temporary employment visas - Some foreign workers may receive sponsorship from U.S. employers for visas that will allow them to live and work in the United States for a limited period of time. H-1B visas may be available for people in specialty occupations that require college degrees or equivalent levels of experience. Other types of temporary work visas include H-2A visas for agricultural workers, H-2B visas for non-agricultural workers, L visas for intracompany transferees, and O visas for people with extraordinary abilities in athletics, business, science, or art, including people who work in the entertainment industry. These visas will usually allow a person to stay in the United States for a certain number of years, and extensions may be available if needed.

Contact Our Illinois Temporary Visa Attorneys

If you are planning to visit the United States, or if you are looking to help a family member, business associate, or employee come to the country temporarily, Mevorah & Giglio Law Offices can help you understand your options for seeking a temporary visa. Our DuPage County non-immigrant visa lawyers can work with you to prepare and submit all of the required forms and documentation, and we can also help address any issues that may arise as you work with immigration officials. To begin the process, contact us at 630-932-9100 and schedule a free consultation.


badge badge badge badge badge badge badge
Back to Top