When Can I Stop Paying Child Support in Illinois? | DuPage County Divorce Attorney
Button 1 Button 2 Button 3 Button 4 Button 5 Button 6
Mevorah & Giglio Law Offices
DuPage County Attorneys


900 E. Roosevelt Road, Lombard, IL 60148

Phone: 630-932-9100


134 N. Bloomingdale Road, Bloomingdale, IL 60108

Phone: 630-529-4761


1730 Park Street, Suite 202, Naperville, IL 60563

Phone: 630-420-1000

When Can I Stop Paying Child Support in Illinois?

Posted on in Family Law
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Print

DuPage County Child Support Lawyers

Child support payments are a significant financial burden for some parents and an important source of funds for others. Whether you are a payor or a recipient, you should know when child support payments can and will stop. 

Child Support Ends When the Court Order Says It Ends 

Your child support order should specify the end point for paying child support. In most cases, child support will end when a child turns 18, the age of majority. However, if the child is still attending high school when they turn 18, child support must generally continue until the child graduates from high school or turns 19, whichever comes first. 

Note that the support termination date does not eliminate the obligation to catch up on back-owed child support. Monthly child support payments must continue in the same amount until the delinquency or arrearage is paid in full. 

If you have multiple children, and your support order does not specify how the amount will be reduced as each child reaches majority, you will have to go back to court have the amount of monthly child support altered. If your old order was entered before 2016, your new order will use the income shares method of calculating child support.

A parent may not stop paying child support for reasons such as:

  • Not getting their court-ordered amount of parenting time.

  • Having a child refuse to communicate with the parent.

  • Having a child become pregnant, in trouble with the law, or drop out of school.

Exceptions to the “Age 18 or Graduation from High School” Rule

There are several common exceptions to the “age 18 or graduation from high school” rule for ending child support.

Voluntary emancipation. One exception occurs when a child self-emancipates. If a child voluntarily moves beyond the care, custody, and control of a parent, and the minor no longer requires parental financial support, a parent may ask the court to terminate child support. The most common instances of self-emancipation involve getting married or joining the military. 

Children with disabilities. If a child reaches majority and cannot become financially self-sufficient due to a physical or mental disability, the court may require parents to continue making child support payments or to set aside a sum of money in a trust established for the benefit of the child. 

College expenses. Both parents can be required by an Illinois family court to contribute toward a child’s post-high-school education expenses. This does not mean parents will be ordered to pay 100 percent of the child’s expenses--which may include tuition, books and supplies, room and board, and medical expenses--but rather a reasonable amount given the parents’ financial circumstances. 

Changes in a Parent’s Circumstances Affecting Child Support

A parent who becomes unemployed or changes jobs must notify the other parent and the Clerk of Court within 10 days of the change. However, a payor cannot simply cease making child support payments due to unemployment or a reduction in pay. A parent who experiences such a change in circumstances must first petition the court to request a reduction in their child support payments.

The court may order “zero dollar” child support when a parent has no gross income, receives only means-tested public assistance, cannot work due to a medically-proven disability, is incarcerated, or is institutionalized. 

DuPage County Child Support Lawyers Who Will Fight for You

If you are concerned that your spouse is not paying their fair share of child support, consult an experienced Lombard child support attorney to discuss your options, including modification of your child support order. Call Mevorah & Giglio Law Offices at 630-932-9100 for a free initial consultation.




Latest Blog Posts


  • DuPage County Divorce Lawyers
  • Elite Lawyer
  • National Association of Distinguished Counsel
  • Top 40 Under 40
  • 2015 Top 40 Lawyers Under 40
  • Super Lawyers
  • Better Business Bureau

Let us start helping you with a FREE initial consultation.

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.

One Stop For All Your Legal Needs

Whether you are going through a divorce, injured in an accident, need to file a workers' compensation claim, charged with a crime, immigrating to the United States, or need to file for bankruptcy, Mevorah & Giglio Law Offices can help. Our trial lawyers have over 40 years of experience helping clients throughout Northern Illinois from 3 offices in Lombard, Bloomindale, and Naperville.

Steven Mevorah has assembled experienced attorneys under one roof so that his clients need not search for a new attorney each time they need help. Mr. Mevorah has also established a wide network of additional attorneys so that his clients merely need to stop by Mevorah & Giglio Law Offices to find the attorney they need.

Client Focused Representation

Our practice is focused on meeting your needs with flexible hours and locations to serve you:

  • Free initial consultations
  • Saturday and evening appointments available
  • Home and hospital visits if your injuries prevent you from traveling
  • Multiple locations throughout Chicagoland
  • Veteran trial attorneys
  • Experienced negotiators
  • Payment plans available
  • Cash, check, or credit card accepted